Friday, July 10, 2009

Thing #22

Exploring Social Networking

I have been a member on Facebook for about a year. It was a lot of fun first. I connected with friends that I went to high school and college with. However it didn't take long before it became more than I wanted to manage. I was getting messages from people requesting friends, I was receiving all of the little gadgets that Facebook offers for fun like flowers, drinks, and gifts and I was being poked by people that I have never heard of. I just have more important things to do in the real world with friends that I am seeing face to face.
It is my opinion that Facebook is not appropriate for school use at any age. You do not have enough control over who can access your page. I know teachers need to be aware of what is available to our students but we don't have to participate or promote those things. I recently addressed the subject of My Space with the heads of our Technology Department. They also felt that there were better ways to reach out to our students. We have used many tools during this class that I think would be much better to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment