Friday, June 19, 2009

Thing #4

Blogging Begins With Reading

I Love, Love, Love, Duck Diaries! If anyone can read those blogs and not get a smile on your face then you are really having a bad day. The second graders response to what could have happened to the missing duck is priceless. This is a great example of how technology can be used in the classroom. It also shows how you can start at a very young age. I would venture to say that the students learned more and will retain more from this lesson, because of this activity. I also like how this was extended cross curriculum and kindergartners drew duck pictures and the music teacher wrote a duck song to include in the music lesson, my favorite of course. What does it say about me, that I enjoyed this so much?

Another really good blog post was Learning Now: An Open Letter About Cyberbullying What a powerful well written letter in response to a short thought provoking article published by Wired Magazine. I totally agreed with the letter, as did all of the responses that I read. But whether you agree with the letter or not, a lesson can still be taught about the effect of the written word. The magazine article Beware These Six Lamest Social Networks was originally suppose to to be funny. But after reading it and the responses, Many people failed to see the humor in it.
I enjoyed reading many bogs, but as you see I have a tendency to wander off into other parts. This will also be a problem for some students. Therefore it is important that the teacher closely monitors the student activity on the computer during instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment